Wednesday, February 10, 2010

MIDWEEK BREAK ON A SNOW DAY

Early this week, I spilled much ink discussing the Supreme Court. Today, I am a little more tired than usual. I am also a little intellectually spent, so I decided to take a rest until tomorrow. Believe it or not, I am not feeling too satirical. I still have a list of potential satires to craft, but nothing really sparks my fire today. I don't write unless I feel that spark first. Uninspired writing isn't worth my time--or yours. It's OK to be uninspired when serving an economic master for pay. But not when you're investing your passion in art.

Yesterday I saw something funny. They just opened a Filene's Basement bargain store on 14th Street, near the Whole Foods between Broadway and University Place. As I walked past, I noticed this sign: "FILENE'S BASEMENT - TAKE THE ESCALATOR UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR."

I didn't know you could ever go up to get to a basement from street level. But I guess you can. After all, companies need to work with the real estate they can scrounge, even if it doesn't sync with their names.

On the other hand, "Filene's Second Floor Mezzanine" just doesn't have the same ring as "Filene's Basement." So basements can be on the second floor, at least on 14th Street.

Now I'm looking for an attic on the lower level. I'm sure I'll find one sooner or later. What's in a name, anyway?

See you tomorrow!

Oesterhoudt

No comments: