Sunday, April 26, 2009

READING DAY : AND A WORD ON FREE SPEECH

I have noticed that my creative powers increase when I sit down, reflect, catch my breath and take in new ideas. For the last seven months, I have written seven days a week. During that time, I have almost completely discussed all the issues I wanted to discuss in the year before I started writing. I think that is an accomplishment: I lived life, suffered hardship, identified problems, sketched them, then completely analyzed them in writing.

Good writing requires experience. Many of my ideas come from situations I encounter in life. But when I actually sit down to write, I foreclose myself from experiencing new situations. And when I write, I can't read. Reading broadens me. It is essential. As a satirist, I would have nothing to mock if I did not read my targets' arguments first. If I spent all my time writing, I would not have time to absorb new material.

I am going to start taking Sundays as "reading days." If I feel truly inspired on a particular Sunday and I cannot repress the muse, then I will make an exception. Still, I think it is important for me to maintain my stamina by taking a day every week to reflect, soak in experience, get new ideas and "add grist to the mill."

As always, many thanks to everyone who takes time out to read what I have to offer. Last week I felt I really hit some good satirical targets; I even wondered whether some particularly vindictive "public figures" might even take me to legal task for my works. In response to that, I say: "Bring it on!" I have little faith in our Supreme Court, but I have every reason to believe that the First Amendment--even in its exception-riddled, tattered, state-serving condition--fully protects my "imaginative expression," "lampooning" and "hyperbolic exaggeration." In my view, the Court's opinions in New York Times v. Sullivan, 376 U.S. 254 (1964), and Hustler Magazine v. Falwell, 485 U.S. 46 (1988)(unanimous opinion) represent high points in this country's troubled commitment to liberty. Those opinions are still "the law." No matter how bad a public figure may feel when he sees himself lampooned, he cannot claim damages against a speaker who satirizes him. That is the price of fame, at least until Chief Justice Roberts & Co. rewrites the law on this point. They probably will, but they have not gotten around to it yet.

I do not report facts. I do not espouse truth. I present opinions and I write satires. Unlike a lawyer, I do not aim to persuade anyone to adopt any viewpoint. I do not live to win, nor do I regard my fellow man as an instrument for my own gain. My goal is simply to show that there are injustices and absurdities in this world. But I also believe there is no need to despair. I think we can all find good for ourselves. My blog simply describes the way I view the world. As far as I know, I still have a right to express that, no matter what contrary reports you may have heard from your employer, your mother or the government.

Here's to more Reason, Commerce, Justice and Free Beer!

No comments: